Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Letters: the Ultimate Souvenir

Heather Snowe is a new Regency author whose debut romance, Sweet Enemy, will appear in February 2012. That's one to look forward to: check out her website to learn more. When Heather interviewed me  for her Get Lost in a Story blog, she asked about my former career in rare books and manuscripts and inspired me to ask a question. If you could own a letter written by a famous person, past or present, who would you choose? Jane Austen? Mozart? Johnny Depp? Come on over and tell me. One commenter will win a copy of The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton.

5 comments:

  1. It would have to be Elizabeth I. I just love history and boy Elizabeth I has enough to fill up many books. I would love to actually have her explain exactly what she and her Robin had been up to for all those years,seeing as she was supposed to be the Virgin queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mozart. Besides being tremendously talented,creative, a genius, he was an interesting character. Full of life and the life of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miranda,

    I think I would most love to own a letter by President Abraham Lincoln. He led our country through one of its most challenging periods and it would be fascinating to have a peek inside his thoughts.

    Thanks,

    Laura T
    heartoftexasbooks[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm late to these comments. I've been mostly off the grid, revising my next book.

    Hi Gigi: Elizabeth I had such beautiful handwriting her letters are a work of art. And it would be fascinating to get the down-and-dirty on her personal life.

    @Cherry. Mozart is one of my heroes. Enough said.

    @Laura: Holding a letter by a truly great man, and having access to his thoughts as he wrote them down, is a huge thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the historical hots for Benjamin Franklin. Aside from being the inventor and diplomat everyone knows him to be, he also may have been a spy. Yeah, I'd like to get inside his mind a little more.

    ReplyDelete